Amina has beautiful black hair, large, almond shaped dark brown eyes full of life and laughter… and she’s 21 years old!
Amina was born (into our home) on Sunday, February 7th and baptized on Sunday, February 15th, as she planned to announce her commitment to follow Christ.
What’s happening daily in the SoCal Restoration Center (alias Clark home)?
- 6:00 – 7:45am: Prayer, devotions, juicing and breakfast.
- 7:50am: Papa kisses to Amina and hubby kisses to Sue as they leave for APU
- 8:10am:Amina goes M – F to study ESL in the American Language and Culture Institute at APU, under Sue’s direction. Amina needs to improve her English so she can take her GED exam hopefully in December. She only went to school through the 8th grade in Lebanon, so she needs to improve her Reading and Writing Skills to pass that test. Sue goes to her office to direct the program.
Action: Would you like to tutor her for the GED this summer?
- Afternoons: Amina studies while Sue works at APU and they travel home together.
- Evenings: Papa Rick, Mama Sue and Amina and sometimes the two other young women who live there all have dinner together. The highlight is time to play games after dinner and beat Papa Rick. All the women agree on this!
Evenings also involve counseling sessions for Amina, Inner Healing sessions conducted by Sue for women who need to be healed from brokenness; Home group Bible studies in Azusa; Homework sessions to assist Amina, and whomever God brings to our home.
- Saturday nights, 6:00 – 9:30 is House Church at our home and a growth explosion of new people is happening! Praise God!
- Sundaysinclude Sabbath for Rick and Sue, and Amina and the girls like to attend their various churches.
What’s life like with a new daughter who is a survivor?
Fun, sweet, exciting, painful as she peals the layers off her pain of childhood, teen years, fleeing to the U.S., more exploitation…and finally rescue and safety; exhausting and exhilarating!! It’s just like being a new parent all over again, but we’ve learned a few things along the way that help us be extra patient, loving, giving and prayerful. We are SO excited to actually be functioning as a residential program in the SCRC, a year before we thought that would happen! God is amazing!
Action: Amina needs help in getting places, learning to drive, building close girl friendships, FINANCES for every aspect of life. Would you help to meet one of her needs?
MORE NEWS…Sue is in the midst of a criminal investigation involving one of our international students who is a victim of commercial sexual exploitation in Las Vegas and right here in Azusa. It’s been a very long process and the suspect is still not arrested yet. I (Sue) am getting my PhD degree hands-on, becoming a trauma counselor, a resident house mother, a legal advocate as I’ve been to court with her more times than I can count, and a tremendous champion of survivors. I can’t believe what these girls have to go through to be safe, to be protected, to demand justice, to feel heard, to feel loved and to feel valued as a woman. Sometimes I feel sick with the weight of their horrific experiences that we think only exist in the movies. Sometimes I want to yell and beat the men who have abused, deceived, lied, defrauded, blackmailed, threatened, coerced, used, stalked, and stolen from these young women. I cry out to God for His mercy, grace and love.
Action: We need a Christian therapist who can speak her language to take Sasha’s (not her real name) case. She’s a freshman international student at APU, very shy, and with very little voice. The person MUST understand Asian (not specific to protect her) culture to build a relationship and trust so that she begins to share some of the deepest secrets.
BIG ACTION: Rick and I are creating a circle of prayer (according to Mark Batterson’s book, The Circle Maker), to boldly ask God for a new and much larger home that could accommodate 8 girls and offices for Worldteam and the Restoration Center. It’s God’s time in 2015 for us to move ahead toward our own facilities that are owned and not rented.
Boldly pray with us for God to send donors who will invest in this life-transformational SoCal Restoration Center home: Yet to be named.
Our God is ABLE to do EXCEEDINGLY ABUNDANTLY above ALL that we ask or even think according to His Power that is at work within us! Ephesians 3:20
Did we dare to dream this would all happen in 2015? Not really. But God showed us through the documentary, “In Plain Sight”, that we were not dreaming big enough!
Our God is ABLE!